Under the Weather

It’s been a crazy couple of days here.

Little Sis has had a terrible cough for weeks (on and off, mostly at night). Plus we’re trying to break her of Pull-Ups overnight, so nights have been rough lately.

I spent most of Tuesday (Inauguration Day) glued to CNN, NBC, and Twitter, basking in the radiant glow of hope and brotherhood.

Wednesday was a whirlwind of errand-running and general catching up. Mom called to let me know that J., the aide that helps her a few days a week, checked on Mom to find her with a fever. J. picked up some Tylenol in the gift shop for Mom, but needs me to pick up a full bottle, plus some cough medicine. I dropped it off that afternoon.

Wednesday night, around 9:45 pm, Mom calls. It’s a little late for her to call to chat. She reports that she’s feeling “a little weak.” I offer to come over, but she declines, saying that she was almost in bed anyway, but just wanted to let someone know. She did mention that the kidney clinic had called to let her know that she’s anemic again, so she’ll need more Procrit (or whatever the equivalent is that they’ve been giving her at the kindey clinic). Apparently the nurse is mailing the prescription so I can pick it up from Mom and hand-deliver it to the pharmacy. Annoying.

I call to check on Mom the next morning. She needs me to come over. Why? Because she’s so weak, she can’t get out of bed by herself. I pack up Little Sis and head over. I get her up, bathroomed, dressed and breakfasted before I head to an 11 am appointment. Then I went to my haircut, where my stylist tells me how sick she’s been, with a 102 degree fever.

It’s going around, I tell her.

Afterwards, I swing by Wendy’s to pick up lunch for Little Sis and me, plus a Frosty and some hot tea for my stylist. We deliver them, then check out a nearby tent that’s selling (bootleg??) Steelers gear. Nope…nothing good.

Off to Sam’s Club, then to two more stores in search of Steelers gear. Three Steelers tee shirts, a case of Sprite and two boxes of diapers later, we stop back at Mom’s, make our delivery, fix her some food (she hadn’t eaten since I last fed her at 10:45 am), and leave to get Big Sis off the bus.

Fast forward to sometime in the middle of the night. I am awakened by both kids up to use the bathroom. I check Little Sis’ bed: soaked. I sop up the worst of it, then find a sleeping bag for her and lay it out on the floor.

This morning I was awakened by Big Sis, who was awake and miserable at 6 am. She was in the bathroom with diarrhea, and freaked out about it, too. I sat with her through four bouts of it over the next hour and a half, then called it: I’d keep her home from school.

But Little Sis still had school. So I got her up on the early side, because I was following doctor’s orders. Her pediatrician recommended that when she has an accident overnight, SHE should wash her own sheets. By hand. So we did. In the bathtub.

I’m not sure it had the desired effect, though. This kid LOVES to wash stuff. Stuffed animals, Barbie dolls, my kitchen sink…all of it. She seemed utterly tickled that I was letting her do this.

But I did make her strip the bed HERSELF, which she wasn’t so keen on, and lug the full laundry basket down the hall to the bathroom. She put all the wet linens into the washer before school and transferred them to the dryer afterwards. Then she took the clean, dry linens back up the stairs to her room. She’ll finish putting them on tonight.

Hopefully after a few days worth of this, she’ll make more of an effort to get to the toilet at night. If it doesn’t kill me first.

Did I mention that I ALSO am not 100%? Sore throat, headache, runny & stuffy nose. Nothing to head to the ER for, but it’s no picnic to take care of EVERYONE else when you’re not feeling good.

I can’t get any sympathy around here….




*blow nose*

About Kathleen

Kathleen Heuer is a serial arts advocate and volunteer. She is the mom of two beautiful girls, wife to a brilliant nuclear engineer, and referee between her golden retriever and her hissy 18-year-old cat. For more, go to http://about.me/kathleendheuer.
This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

1 Response to Under the Weather

  1. Beq says:

    Hang in there!! Just when you saying how everyone gets so sick, the next day Chiquita was still sick. Off to the ER you went with Chiquita was was admitted with pneumonia. It never seems to end. You’re doing great!!!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s